Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mulberries: Red, White, and Delicious

Confession: I made it all the way to adulthood without knowing what a mulberry was.

If you are the mulberry authority, congrats! You've arrived. But if you're like a lot of people I've talked to, you may not be sure what they are...or you at least haven't tried one.

Maybe this post will help.

Mulberry Lies


As a chubby-cheeked child, I would link arms with Sister and (regrettably) belt out verses of "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush." (Sorry, Ma.) Of course I had no clue what I was talking about, but, as it turns out, neither did the song. Mulberries grow on trees, not bushes.

Mulberries grow on trees, not bushes
The kid's song lied: mulberries grow on trees, not bushes.


Wife and I discovered several mulberry trees in our yard. They produce quite a lot of tasty fruit, and there's nothing like just walking up there and popping a few in your mouth.

Branches full of mulberries
These branches are full of mulberries.


Mulberries are pretty easy to recognize once you get a good look at them. They are kind of lumpy looking like a blackberry. We have two types of mulberry trees: red and white.

The leaves and fruit of the mulberry tree
The leaves and fruit of the mulberry tree are pretty recognizable.


Red Mulberries


Red mulberries, much like red cabbage and red onions, are more purple than red. The really ripe ones are almost black. You can see in this picture (below) the difference between the ripe ones and the not-so-ripe ones.

Ripe and unripe red mulberries
Ripe red mulberries are almost black.


Mulberries have a good, but somewhat nondescript flavor. I call it "yummy generic berry flavor." When they are ripe, they are really sweet. The mostly-ripe ones are a little tart. 

Red mulberries
Mostly-ripe red mulberries are a little tart, but good.


White Mulberries


I had no idea white mulberries existed until I stood under this tree. Once I realized they were not diseased, I ate them (or maybe it was the other way around). Ripe white mulberries are partly white and partly purple, like these pictured.

White mulberries
Ripe white mulberries are funny looking.


Ripe white mulberries are just as sweet as the red variety and don't taste much different. Unripe white mulberries are almost green.

Ripe and unripe white mulberries
Unripe white mulberries have a greenish color.


Well, those are mulberries. Maybe next time I'll show you how I pick them and what to do with them...

No comments:

Post a Comment