Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Shoe Molding, Amnesia, and The Logger

With the flooring down I finally managed to paint the baseboards and trim. Wife painted the doors because she is cool like that.

Time for molding!

I used oak molding that I stained myself. It's not true quarter round, but it's close. Father calls it shoe molding, but the nationally-recognized home-improvement megastore didn't really call it anything. The sign just said, "Give me all your dollars! AAARG!"

I was pretty sure that I had an 8-foot piece of molding leftover from another project a few years ago. I went out to the shed to get it and "SNAP!" Look at all this I had!

How in the world did I have three, 8-foot pieces and a bunch of little guys left over without remembering?

Were my measurements off by THAT much?
Did I buy too much by accident?
Do I have amnesia?
Did I buy too much by accident?

Oh, I said that...

Before I began, I measured everything carefully. My goal was to use ALL of the old molding without having to buy any more. According to the measurements, I could make that happen with 3 inches to spare!

NOTE: Sweet tea enhances cognitive powers.

Good news: my friend The Logger had a good saw that would cut sharp, exact angles! The Logger owns EVERYTHING that cuts wood.

I met The Logger and his stretch limo diesel truck in a parking lot. He passed the saw to me like a shady deal. I'm telling you: that truck of his could have six doors if it wanted to.

The saw worked great! I carefully planned all the cuts to minimize waste and save money.

Dry fitting each piece is a great idea. I just placed the pieces where they needed to go, slid them tightly into the corners, and checked the length.

I used a nail gun and some brads to attach the molding. Those little leftover pieces came in handy for the shorter runs.


Done! It really didn't take as long as I thought it would! A big "thanks" goes out to my amnesia (which saved me money), The Logger (for the hook-up), and to my amnesia (which saved me money).

Is it just me, or this kitchen pretty much done?

1 comment: