Monday, December 6, 2010

No More Cabinets

Most newly-built houses these days have pre-made cabinets installed in them. Not so in our house. It must have been the thing back in 1949 to build them to the wall piece by piece.

I could so easily have ripped these bad boys down in a manly fury of power tools and splinters, but I probably would have brought down chunks of plaster wall with it. Not cool!

To better preserve the walls and be less stupid I decided to use methodical deconstruction, so I sought outside help...knowledgeable help...free help.

I called Father.

We started by taking the doors off.
Then the molding.
Then that scallop-edged board thingy over the sink. What is that anyway?

The old cabinets ended up coming down just as they had gone up: one board at a time. Behind them we found naked plaster walls untouched by 61+ years of painting...

...but the fun was just beginning...

1 comment: